There are many reasons to include magic in the classroom setting, but one overall goal for classroom use is to enhance the ease and confidence of the students’ presenting and talking in front of an audience. Performing magic is a fun and motivational way for the children to practice and enhance class presentation skills. If success is made in increasing the children’s’ self-confidence, it may positively impact the children’s’ academic goals. The use of magic in the classroom is beneficial for all children, but particularly for those children with special needs. By learning simple “sleight of hand” tricks, the children with disabilities have the opportunity to achieve new skills, which could improve their self-confidence. An added bonus may be the social skills gained by interacting with their non-disabled peers and the acceptance level of their non-disabled peers. We encourage you to give magic a try.
Dr. Dan’s top ten reasons why magic should be used in schools.
1. Magic can create an overall positive classroom learning environment.
2. Magic can create and maintain positive student/teacher rapport.
3. Magic can enhance self-confidence and self-esteem.
4. Magic can be used to enhance friendships and inclusion of individuals from diverse groups.
5. Magic can be used to illustrate many academic concepts—specifically in math and science, but also language arts including reading and spelling.
6. Magic can be directly connected to teaching social skills.
7. Magic can enhance verbal and non/verbal public speaking skills.
8. Magic can enhance occupational therapy goals including fine motor, eye-hand coordination and other dexterity skills.
9. Magic can be used to showcase career awareness of professional magicians and other performing arts entertainers.
10. Magic can introduce a fun hobby that can be used in extracurricular and other leisure activities.
Are you a classroom teacher who would like to add spice to your lessons and have your students begging to go to school? Using magic tricks may be your answer.
We would like to help you incorporate magic in your lessons by posting free magic tricks. These tricks are designed for the classroom teacher in mind. We want to give you ready to go tricks that will make your lessons fun. Check often because you never know when the next trick will be posted. If you would like to share a magic trick and how you have used it in your classroom, we welcome your ideas.